At least five civilians were killed when a mortar struck in Afghanistan’s northern Kunduz province on Monday morning, police said.
Seven more civilians were wounded in the incident which happened in Shorabi Qislaq area of provincial capital, also Kunduz, said Hijratullah Akbari, a spokesman for provincial police.
He said that the deaths included women and children while those injured were men and children.
The official said that the mortar had been fired by the Taliban, but the group has yet to make comment.
Separately, a bomb exploded in Helmand capital Lashkargah on Monday, injuring 12 people, sources said.
It came a day after Taliban launched assault in the city, taking its Police District 4.
Around 600 families have been displaced due to the battle in Helmand, according to the provincial council chief, Ataullah Afghan.
Electricity company said that militants abducted two technicians and 15 guards of electrical substation in Helmand and that power line to Kandahar city was cut.
Provincial council member, Abdul Majid Akhundzada, said that militants fired at parts of the substation and its equipment was stolen.
A Taliban spokesman, however, said that the substation was damaged by local residents.