The United States has received conflicting reports on developments in a key district in southern Helmand province but there is zero doubt the security situation remains challenging, Sputnik reported citing White House Deputy Assistant for Strategic Communications on the National Security Council, Michael Anton.
Earlier, Afghan forces out of Sangin district forcing the government and its NATO allies to move the center of the district a few kilometers south, however, the U.S. Department of Defense spokesperson Adam Stump said that the move had been planned for some time.
"We continue to closely monitor developments in Sangin District and Helmand province," Anton stated on Tuesday. "We have seen conflicting accounts, but there is no doubt the security situation in the province remains challenging."
"You will shortly see concrete evidence of the [Trump] administration's continuing commitment to our allies in Afghanistan," Anton added.
This comes as the U.S. top commander Gen. John Nicholson said he plans to request more troops in Afghanistan to prevent the country from becoming a safe haven for terrorist groups.