Afghan forces have left Sangin district center in southern Helmand province, officials said Thursday.
The retreat in the strategic district was made on Wednesday night after the government forces suffered high casualties in battle against the Taliban, according to local sources.
The sources added that lack of supply also caused retreat in the district.
According to a security source, military equipment were transferred to 2nd Division, 215 Army Corps, adding if the government fails to reclaim Sangin district center, the insurgency would expand to the army facility.
Omar Zwak, a spokesman for provincial governor, confirmed the retreat calling it a tactical move. He said that the security forces are present two kilometes from the district center, adding the retreat was made to avoid civilian casualties and prepare for a clean-up operation.
A military statement said that Sangin district center was witnesses to clashes since two months ago, from which residents suffered the most. It said that hundreds of forces are based two kilometers from the district center.
Taliban on twitter said that the group seized Sangin district center, police headquarter and key outposts.
While officials call the retreat a tactical move, provincial council members said it would have a bad consequence.
"It's a mistake to leave a territory to enemy. [Security forces] suffered heavy casualties in Sangin and we didn't respect their bloods by leaving," said Basir Shakir, a member of provincial council.
Helmand has been a point of some heavy battles, with Taliban in control of more territories in the proivnce in recent years.
Earlier this year, U.S. military said that about 300 U.S. Marines would be sent to Helmand to assist Afghan security forces battling Taliban insurgents.